All of our Scottish jewellery is made from solid sterling silver or gold. With the correct care and storage it should last a lifetime. We've put together a few pieces of advice which if followed will help to keep it looking beautiful every day.
- Your jewellery doesn't like being in water, so remove before swimming or washing.
- Keep away from household chemicals such as perfume, cleaning products and hairspray (chlorine is particularly harmful) as these can all accelerate tarnishing on the metal.
- Exercise is an enemy of jewellery and it doesn't like hard work, so please remove it prior to gardening, going to the gym, cleaning etc.
- When your jewellery is not being worn, it is safest to keep it in the box it came in.
- Some gemstones are harder than others (see Moh's Scal eof Hardness). To keep the gemstones looking in top top condition, it is worth considering this when deciding on cleaning, frequency of wear etc.
- Prolonged exposure to direct sunlight in some gemstones such as amethyst, can cause their colour to fade, so store carefully in a box.
- Let your jewellery sleep when you do. Take it off and place in its original box to keep it safe.
- To brighten up your silver or gold pieces, jewellery can be cleaned using warm soapy water and a soft brush or with a silver cloth.
- Some gemstones such as turquoise, lapis lazuli, pearls and opals (for example) can be damaged in an ultrasonic cleaner so only clean these using warm soapy water.